September 30, 2026

Makarov on The Influence of Ethnic Customary Law: Customary Law on the Legislation of Stephen I: An Ethno-Legal Analysis and the Role of the King

Timur Makarov, Saint-Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation, has published The Influence of Ethnic Customary Law: Customary Law on the Legislation of Stephen I: An Ethno-Legal Analysis and the Role of the King at 14 Studia Iurdica Cassoviensia 201 (2026).
This article examines the legal influence of ethnic legal traditions on the development of Hungarian law during the reign of King Stephen I. The extent of this influence is explored through an analysis of the social and political context, enabling a logical tracing of the cultural impact on Stephen I’s legislation. Particular attention is paid to the Nitra Slavs; the author concurs with Jan Steinhubbel’s view regarding the greater continuity of traditions that occurred under the Hungarian monarchy. To ensure a comprehensive understanding, the author analyses the influence and determines the role of Magyar legal traditions and the conditions under which they could spread and take root, drawing attention to the possibility of gradual assimilation and blending of legal traditions. The role of Roman law, which spread with Stephen I’s adoption of Christianity, is examined. The Frankish influence is mentioned separately. The author concludes that Stephen I’s legislation was an integral element of his open policy. The research demonstrates that both the king and the highest Hungarian nobility effectively and justifiably integrated Slavic administrative traditions and Western European legal standards into the framework of evolving Hungarian law.
Download the article from SSRN at the link.

No comments: